Impressed by the technical solutions architected for Boatshed.com’s global presence GGR organisers came to us for advice on their own hosting.
Their event generates a huge amount of interest from boating enthusiasts and press who are eager to learn about the progress of the race.
GGR’s web developers created the site using the popular WordPress content management system, in its standard form WordPress can be quite heavy on database calls and server resources and does not scale well for large numbers of visitors. Through page caching, server configurations and use of AWS services WordPress can be made to run much faster.
It was essential the site was fast and responsive wherever it’s viewed in the world whilst being able to support large numbers of simultaneous visitors should a big news worthy event occur.
PBS Creative reviewed the existing hosting configuration before implementing several recommendations to improve the performance as well as being on standby for technical emergencies.
The Amazon Web Services solution utilises:
- OpsWorks for web application launching direct from GitHub code repository with staging and live workflows.
- Automated launch and configuration of EC2 instances via Chef scripts
- Route53 DNS and TLS security certificate issuance
- Elastic Block Storage for static files with snapshot backups
- Load Balancer to control traffic to EC2 instances
- RDS MariaDB database storage with automated snapshots
- Nginx web server with micro caching configuration